Sunday, May 01, 2011

Day 1... (drum roll)

Ok, this was a tough day to start this in some ways. First of all, I was up at 4:30 am so that I could catch a 6:20 am ferry to Van. And I did not leave myself enough time to prepare any food to take with me--not even to throw some granola mix in a to-go container... I did, however, have my usual breakfast--a cup of coffee (with cream and raw sugar) and 2 pieces of multi-grain toast with peanut butter and a little honey...

...headed out to the league practice at UBC for 9am -- and no time (especially being on the bus) to stop anywhere--especially in light of the fact that I didn't have a clue where I was going so wanted to give myself plenty of time to find it. Getting off the bus there was a Shoppers Drug Mart that was luckily open so I grabbed a bottle of water and a bag of trail mix with cranberries... not the best but I knew that after a couple hours of skating I'd need something...

The cup is actually from the ferry on the way home--more water!
...after practice there was, coincidentally, a workshop on nutrition and injury prevention (which I'll say more about later--don't have time for a long post at the moment) at the new digs of Rollergirl.ca -- we headed there, but on the way we stopped to pick up sushi--despite the abundance of white rice in the rolls, it's not a bad choice... and a side of gommae (spinach with a sesame sauce) and green tea...


After the workshop I strolled down Main Street for a while--funny how I notice the abundance of hamburger places, bakeries and coffee shops all of a sudden... I stopped for a skinny, decaf latte before heading out to do some shopping and heading home... decided to wait until I got home to have dinner--one of the things I was reminded about at the workshop was how I seldom eat the daily recommended servings of fruit and vegetables so, opted for a dinner of veggies and quinoa...
Above is my favorite appliance--it's a rice cooker which I use almost daily--it's also great for quinoa and oatmeal--this one also has a handy steamer which I use to steam veggies as my rice or quinoa is cooking--you could also use it for steamed fish dishes... doing carrots in it here...

...and some organic swiss chard--I just wash it and then throw it in a non-stick pan with the water on the leaves, a tiny bit of olive oil and some minced garlic and saute until the leaves are just wilted... season with lemon pepper...
...and that was it for dinner...

I did nibble that entire package of trail mix during the day... and, after dinner, had a square of dark chocolate.

And now off to prepare for an early morning (6:30 am) bootcamp class...

No comments: