Sunday, May 15, 2011

So this is what a "day off" looks like!

Ah.... Sunday! If you've been following along this month (from the beginning of the month), you'll know that it was my intention to post daily about "eating clean". I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to lose some body fat and get a little leaner for *ahem* something happening at the end of the month--and I'm also seeing if cleaning up my eating habits gives me more energy and how hard or easy this whole process is!

Anyone who knows me knows how busy I am--teaching classes, personal training sessions, teaching voice lessons, writing, roller derby reffing... oh yeah, I'm also in the process of recording a jazz/R&B cd. Busy!

So, I did have good intentions of posting daily and, along with sharing with you the daily trials and tribulations of this "cleaning up my eating habits" exercise, I wanted to post food facts and maybe recipes... I'm afraid I just get busy sometimes though and cannot be regular with this (the posting, that is ;-). Nevertheless, I'll continue...

Since my last post I think I've been pretty good about staying on track--not having my usual glass of wine with dinner during the week, drinking far more water, making an effort to "mix it up" a bit with snacking during the day--I've been having a half of a Cliff Bar before my morning workouts and picked up some low-fat cottage cheese to have for lunch... when I'm away from home (nearly every weekend), I choose sushi and try to pick healthy options where I can. I think I could write a book on trying to eat clean in shopping mall food courts though!

In any case... I'll continue to post as I can--and please let me know how you are doing and if you have any food questions!

Random Food Example of the Week: A couple of nights in the past week we had home made pizza--yummy! Thin whole grain crust piled with cooked ground turkey and veggies (mushrooms, peppers, artichoke hearts, fresh spinach, onions, sun dried tomatoes) topped with herbed feta--very little tomato sauce as a base... this pizza was big enough for 2 dinners for 2 of us!



Last night we were at a friends for dinner -- a very lovely organic chicken with roasted veggies, a green salad and french bread... and a glass or 2 of wine. Tonight we're out for dinner again... and watching hockey...

I have noticed that with this combination of drinking more water, remembering to take my vitamins, not consuming alcohol on weeknights and cutting out white flour and sugar; I seem to have slept much better in the past couple of weeks--and that has definitely given me more energy early in the day... I'm still pretty tired by late afternoon but I suppose that's to be expected when I'm doing as many classes as I am and sometimes staying up late.

One thing you may have noticed in my food entries is a lack of fruit. Unfortunately I have a sensitivity to acidic foods--something I share with everyone in my family--and find that eating those foods too often has undesirable effects :( Which is a drag because I LOVE oranges, apples, pineapples, strawberries... so I limit my intake of fruit although I do have a fair amount of dried fruit and eat blueberries and other berries as often as possible.

More later...

No comments: